Thursday, July 07, 2005

The Joy of Journaling

I am just rediscovering the simple pleasure of using a journal to keep a record of my own agonisings and God's gracious providings on a daily basis. If anyone wants to join the fun or get some ideas to breathe life into a flagging journal-life then I have put up at my website an html version of a booklet I put together for our cell last year on "Journaling for Progress".

I am currently using what I call the "DNPQ" style of journaling. This is because I have not journaled for ages and need to edge back into it and make it more of a discipline.

"D.N.P.Q." stands for DATE, NOTE, PRAYER, QUOTE. It's a simple one to remember; a simple but effective discipline that doesn't require a huge amount of time but which is likely to lead you deeper. Basically on a daily basis you:

· Sit down and write the date.

· Write a note - this could be about what you did, saw, felt, learned, thought ... anything.

· Write a prayer. It could be long or short, giving thanks for something, asking for something ... whatever's on your heart.

· Copy out a quote. It could be directly from the Bible (a scripture that spoke to you today) or from a book that you are reading, or even something someone said to you today.

Each item does not need to follow on from or be connected with any other - just write.

Here's an example of a DNPQ entry:

Date: 23/06/03

Note: I spent a couple of really good hours with JL today. We met in town for a coffee and just really clicked. Ended up talking about God. Turns out he has had a bit of history with church but still doesn't really "get" the Gospel. He can see the need and I think he wants to believe ... he is soooooooooooo close. I told him I would pray for his mum - MUST REMEMBER TO ACTUALLY DO IT!

Prayer: Father. Thank you for that time I had with J_ today. You ordained it and you gave me the words to say and you are at work in his heart and it's all about YOU. I love working with you, Lord, it's wonderful. Please let me continue to be involved in the work you are doing in his life. Please finish the good work you have started and reveal truth to him in a way he can understand. I don't know how to pray for his mum but I know you have plans for her, too. In my weakness I just ask that you would be strong for her and she would know that you love her. Amen.

Quote: "Do not fear; for I am with you; be not dismayed; for I am your God. I will make you strong; yes, I will help you; yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of My righteousness. (Isa 41:10)"


Do this daily for a bit and you will probably find that you want to extend one or more of the sections. It is also a format that lends itself very well to reviewing and learning from.

More at "Journaling for Progress". Anyone else got any journaling related ideas or suggestions?

1 Comments:

Blogger cfg said...

Great idea for a structure, Seymour, I'm inspired!

If I've journalled in the past few years it's been in the form of letters to God. I've found it really useful, not just for organising my thoughts, but also helping me put my thinking in proper perspective, instead of letting myself get lost in introspection and self-absorption. Many times it's helped me pray about something important and I've found either a solution to my question, or a renewed sense of peace, before I've even finished writing!

2:24 pm, July 08, 2005  

Post a Comment